Saturday, August 9, 2014

365 days of Summer

My year in a nutshell:

So, this year as you know, I am chasing summer. I started the year in Thailand, which was the colder season in the country but being a South East Asian country, it is warm all year round. I lived and worked in Bangkok with a very close friend (like a sister) for 6 months with a two week holiday in April. We went in a group to Koh Tao, Nang Yuan Koh Phi Phi and finally Krabi.

I left on 22 June for Greece. Which proved to be rather eventful to say the least. I hadnt realized how much one collects and buys over 6 months but lets just say I had a lot of luggage. I had 3 bags for hand luggage alone, one of them being my toiletries bag as they refused to stow it on the plane as my main suitcase was already a lot overweight. 

Because of this, I had most of my newly purchased toiletries and cosmetics confiscated (I had treated myself days before I left for Greece, eager to see my family after 6 months). I then got pulled aside and managed to get myself out of an over stayed visa I hadn't realized had expired. After this, someone ran up to me and kindly informed me I was about to miss my flight. Running through Bangkok airport with 3 bags, ankle boots, a floppy hat and leather jacket (yes, I wanted to look like a "chic" traveller haha), I managed to make it 2 minutes before take off! Not without the whole airplane giving me dirty looks as I tried very hard not to bash everyone over the head with all my bags as I walked through the undersized passage to my seat.

Finally, hours later I arrived in Germany, as I had a connecting flight. I was yet again, pulled over and asked to remove my shoes, hat, jacket etc and taken aside for full body searching. They made me stretch my arms and legs, and then sit down after and lift my legs while they scanned the bottoms of my feet. Needless to say, I don't think they had seen such an overdressed traveller before (thank goodness I was wearing tights!)

The first week went as such: 5 nights in athens, 2 nights in Theologo and 1 night in Nafpaktos. Following this, the next week was spent on a yacht, we chartered, part of a flotilla. We hit up a few islands in the Ionian area such as Meganisi and Kefalonia. This was so much fun, a lot of good food, sun, swimming and catching up with the family.

The next week was the highlight for me (other than of course seeing my family). My sister and I, and 2 of our best friends went to the one and only Mykonos. I will not say too much as I will be doing an entire post of each of the places I have visited, but it was phenomenal. Wow, think beautiful beaches, white and blue houses, insane parties and beautiful people everywhere. The next leg with all the girls and my family was a week in Rethymno, Crete. A stunning way to recover and unwind after Mykonos!

As of the 24 July, my family and friends have left me. Which didn't turn out too bad :p I have been sailing on a motor yacht around the Ionian islands and roadtripping between Patra and Lefkada. Good food, great company, lots of sun, GREECE - what's more to want? 

But now, I must be turning the page of The International Travel Diary. Tomorrow I go back to Athens to unwind for 2 nights and then Monday I start work. A girls gotta earn some money! So.. Onward to Mykonos!! Yes that's where I will be working. But, I will give you more details in the next post.

Filakia.

Stay tuned,
Adventure seeker 
X

 (Bangkok - me with blonde hair and my roommate/BFF/big sis)

(Koh Tao - most beautiful sunset)

(Nang Yuan - on the way to breakfast)

(Maya Bay, Phi Phi island - on my birthday we hired a long boat for the day)

(Phi Phi island - beach bats on the beach)

(Railay beach, Krabi - beach for the day)

(Bangkok - back with the girls for shenanigans)
  
(Sakhorn Nakorn - small town north of Bangkok for a 'Red Riding Hood' themed shoot)

(Athens - some sightseeing at the Acropolis museum)

(A small beach somewhere near to Meganisi - a week of sailing nearby)

(Athens again - reunited with the girls!)

(Mykonos! - super paradise beach)

(Mykonos - Paradise club. Partying it up with Bob Sinclaire :p)

(Rethymno, Crete - my mermaid dress)
(Ithaki - back on the seas! Jumping off the front of the motor yacht)

(Patra - walking along the marina)

1 comment:

  1. Nice days...i was in greece for 6 months (erasmus Project in salonika) and i spent a wonderful period there (10 years ago) I went also around the islands. I will follow you updates. Have a good 365 summer

    ReplyDelete